- 1 1/2 cups superfine white flour , or brown rice flour plus more for rolling
- 3/4 cup tapioca , or potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher , or fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold fat , such as butter, Earth balance or shortening), cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup milk (any kind, including dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Whisk together the flour, starch baking powder and salt. Cut the fat into the flour either with a pastry cutter, two knives or by rubbing the fat into the flour with your fingers. Make sure you leave some larger pieces of fat.
- Add the liquid, starting with ½ a cup and gradually adding a little more at a time, mixing until the dough comes together. Put a little flour on a work surface and dump out the dough.
- Knead 3 or 4 times then either roll or pat it out to about ½ inch thick. Cut into biscuits using a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter. You can gently reform the dough to cut more biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.