|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 links turkey sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Greek or Turkish oregano
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated mozarella cheese
- Cook rice until done. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trim bottom of bell peppers so they have a flat surface to stand on. Cut off a fairly generous amount of the stem end of the peppers and remove the seeds. Place hollowed-out peppers into a baking dish that has been greased with olive oil.
- Remove stem part from the pepper caps and dice pepper caps and the onion into fairly small dice. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, then sauté diced pepper and onion for 3 -4 minutes, until they are starting to soften but aren't browned. Remove pepper-onion mixture and place in a bowl. Finely chop the sausage and cook in a skillet until lightly browned.
- Place the onion-pepper mixture back in the pan with the sausage, then add the fennel and oregano, and sauté for 2- 3 minutes. Add cooked rice and Parmesan cheese and season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Stuff the filling mixture into the hollowed-out peppers, using a spoon. Bake peppers for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and put a generous pinch of grated mozzarella on top of each pepper. Put peppers back into the oven and bake about 10 minutes more, until cheese is melted and lightly browned.