|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
|Passive Time||8 hours|
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic fresh, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 1/2 cups lentils dry, rinsed
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch swiss chard fresh, separate leaves from stem and roughly chop
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 wedges lemon for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in ½ cup water, scraping up any browned bits.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the lentils, squash, chard stems (not the leaves), if using, 2 teaspoons salt and 7 cups water to the slow cooker.
- Stir, then cover and cook on low, 8 hours.
- Just before serving lift lid and stir in chard leaves.
- Cover and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to slightly break up squash. Serve with optional lemon.