|Prep Time||45 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 1/2 cups winter squash peeled and cubed, such as acorn or butternut
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes cubed
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme dried
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans or a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed, cooked
- 1 tablespoon lemon freshly juiced
- Warm the oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the squash, celery, carrots, potatoes, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and water and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are almost done. Add the kale and beans and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the kale is tender and the beans are hot. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve immediately.
Slightly adapted from Epicurious at https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/autumn-minestrone-102609, reprinted from The Moosewood Daily Special, October 1999.