- 1 bunch beet greens
- 2 teaspoons garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Wash and trim your beet greens. If the stems are very thick it is worth trimming them back a bit.
- In a large deep skillet, on medium heat, saute the garlic, shallot and red pepper flake in the olive oil until slightly browned. Add black pepper, sugar and salt.
- Place the beet greens into the pan, pour the water on and immediately cover. Do not remove the lid for a few minutes to allow the greens to wilt. Once they have cooked down, remove the lid and stir all of the ingredients together. Cook for a few more minutes allowing the water to evaporate.
- Just before removing pour the vinegar over the greens. Remove, serve and enjoy!
Recipe from http://www.food52.com/recipes/602_pink_greens, retrieved Jan. 2011.