|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- 2 cups chickpeas , (canned) drained and liquid reserved, or well-cooked
- 1/2 cup tahini , sesame paste with some of its oil, (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil , plus oil for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled or to taste
- salt , to taste
- black peper
- 1 tablespoon cumin , ground, or paprika to taste, plus a sprinkling for garnish
- 1 lemon , juiced (plus more as needed)
- parsley , fresh, chopped (for garnish)
- Put everything except the parsley in a food processor and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve, drizzled with the olive oil and sprinkled with a bit more cumin or paprika and some parsley.
From Mark Bittman