- 10 cups beef stock
- 5 limes
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 star anise seeds
- 1 package (13 oz size) Thai Rice sticks
- 1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 6 onion green
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 pound beef sirloin
- 1 cup basil leaves
- Bring beef stock to a boil in a large stock pot with the juice of 3 of the limes, fish sauce, and star anise. Let stock boil for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook rice sticks according to package directions. Drain rice sticks.
- While noodles are cooking and stock is heating, prep the condiments. Slice green onions on a long diagonal. Roughly chop cilantro. Slice beef into a thin a slice as possible with a very sharp knife. Rinse basil, dry, and put on platter for service. Slice remaining limes and arrange next to basil on serving platter.
- Place platter on table with fish sauce. When noodles are cooked and drained, divide among six bowls. On top of noodles, divide evenly the bean sprouts, sliced green onions and cilantro. Top herbs with rare beef divided evenly between bowls. Remove star anise from stock. Ladle hot stock over each bowl of noodles and beef. Serve immediately.
- Allow each person to season bowl to taste with additional lime juice, basil, and fish sauce.
Recipe from http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/2036/Easy-Pho-Bo-Vietnamese-Beef-N104371.shtml, retrieved May 2011.