|Prep Time||35 minutes|
|Cook Time||4-8 hours|
- 1 onion large, diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 summer squash medium, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly (or zucchini)
- 1 cup carrots thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 can tomatoes diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (may also use chicken or beef)
- 2 cups water as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- basil fresh or dried for topping, optional
- Add all ingredients, except the basil, to a crock pot. Ensure the liquid covers everything.
- Set the crock pot on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- The lentils, peas, and barley will absorb a lot of water, so you may need to add even more water half way through cooking.
- Top with a sprinkle of basil and some pepper and enjoy!
Recipe Adapted from www.fullmeasureofhappiness.com/2011/02/09/lentil-vegetable-barley-soup-crock-pot/ Retrieved January 2015.