|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup butternut squash cubed
- 1 1/2 cups lima beans
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped fresh
- basil dried or fresh, to taste
- thyme dried or fresh, to taste
- dash cumin
- lemon fresh squeeze
- olive oil drizzled
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add olive oil to the pan, swirl, and then add onions and peppers. Stir, cover pan, and continue to cook until translucent and lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and stir for another minute.
- Add quinoa, hot water or stock, salt, and pepper; cover pan and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add butternut squash (or potatoes) and continue to simmer for about 8 minutes. Add lima beans, carrots, and celery, and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add greens, herbs, and a dash of cumin.
- Let the soup rest for 30 minutes or so. Serve soup drizzled with a little olive oil and lemon juice to taste. Top with sliced avocado, fresh peppers, and/or crumbled cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from http://www.fulldishclosure.com/quinoa-soup-2/, retrieved Oct. 2012.