|Prep Time||15 minutes|
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (unrefined and untoasted) extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh , cut crosswise into 1⁄4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 cup water , filtered
- Warm oil in a wide cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add tempeh in a single later, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the tempeh over, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, sprinkle tempeh with tamari and mirin, then pour in the water.
- Raise heat to medium, and simmer for about 5 minutes more, or until water has evaporated and tempeh is beginning to caramelize. Turn tempeh over one more time and cook for a minute longer or until both sides are caramelized.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
Reprinted from At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen by Amy Chaplin (Roost Books, 2014).