- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 1/4 pounds), rinsed and dried, tough muscles removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic , thinly sliced lengthwise
- 7 ounces baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- 7 ounces baby arugula (about 10 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Arrange scallops in skillet, and cook on 1 side until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Flip, and cook until scallops are opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add garlic, and cook for 15 seconds. Add spinach, arugula, red-pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing greens often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter, top with scallops, and serve immediately.
Recipe from http://www.marthastewart.com/344857/scallops-with-wilted-spinach-and-arugula?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/scallop-recipes#slide_7, retrieved July 2011.