|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed) or fresh
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh taragon
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, with a browning option, brown chicken in oil, 8-10 minutes, and then transfer to a plate.
- Add barley, broth, wine, onion, and garlic to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Then, place the chicken back in the pot on top of these ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through, approximately 2 hours.
- Once fully cooked, remove the chicken and stir the peas and tarragon into the barley. Then, season with some final salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Arrange chicken atop the barley and serve.