Inflammation is our body’s response to stress. Stress can stem from the foods we eat, the lifestyles we live, or even injury. Specifically talking about the inflammation that stems from a low quality diet, a lot of us have that going on and may not even know it.
This type of low-grade systemic inflammation can come from refined sugars, processed foods, manufactured fats, highly refined grains, and low quality meats. Other things that aren’t helping our inflammation? Lack of sleep, lack of exercise, diets low on Omega 3 fatty acids and high in Omega 6 fatty acids, chronic stress, poor gut health, lack of time outdoors and away from media and stimulation, low-grade food allergies and sensitivities, and environmental toxins. Now, this all may seem overwhelming and like our bodies are a lost cause, but that is not the case. We can significantly lower the inflammation that is happening in our body with a few simple solutions. The list below is specially food related.
- Vegetables (raw and cooked; chard, celery, beets, broccoli)
- Fruits (fresh and frozen; blueberries, pineapple)
- Seeds (chia, flax)
- Healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, walnuts)
- Fish (salmon, cod)
- High quality protein (eggs, lean meats)
- Herbs (garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon)
- Whole and cracked grains, beans and legumes should be included in a well balanced diet
Yours in Health,
Bastyr University Student Intern