- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lentils rinsed
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets skin and pin bones removed
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fennel bulb diced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovies minced
- 2 tablespoons chives minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon basil julienned, plus whole sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rinsed lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Season the salmon steaks with salt and pepper on all sides.
- In a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When the oil is hot and shimmering add the salmon fillets.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. Remove the fillets to a baking sheet fitted with a rack and put in the oven.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan, over high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the fennel, capers, olives and anchovies. Stir often until the fennel are just starting to caramelize.
- Add the chives and red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red wine vinegar and the lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the lentils and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Stir in the basil and parsley and move from heat.
- Remove the salmon from oven, and transfer the fillets to serving plates. Top each serving with the puttanesca and sprigs of basil.