- 28 grams cauliflower (1.5 CHO)
- 120 grams fresh crab meat de-shelled (1 PRO, 1 CHO)
- 30 grams low-fat ricotta cheese (1 PRO, 1 CHO)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or chili powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil of your choice
- 55 grams green leaf lettuce roughly chopped
- lemon juice and fresh chopped herbs to taste
- In a small saucepan, steam or boil the cauliflower until very tender (it must be soft enough to mash with a fork). Remove from the heat, drain any excess water, and transfer cauliflower to a small mixing bowl.
- Prep your crab meat by making sure it's in thin, stringy pieces with no clumps. Use your hands to squeeze any excess water out of the crab meat. Add the crab meat, ricotta, and all of the spices to the cauliflower. Mix well to combine and adjust spices to your taste.
- Heat a saute pan to medium and add your cooking oil. Divide the crab cake batter into three portions. Use your hands to form each portion into a circular disc, like a small cookie. Place the three cakes into the oiled pan.
- Frequently check the bottom of the crab cakes, using a spatula. Flip the cakes when the bottom is browned and crispy. Brown the other side, then remove from the heat.
- Serve the crab cakes on a bed of chopped green leaf lettuce. Dress your salad with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and some more fresh minced herbs, such as parsley and chives.