Fresh greens combine with pantry classics of olive oil, crushed red pepper and canned cannellini beans in this simple, nutritious side dish that pairs well with hearty entrees. This dish can be made with a mix of your favorite greens such as spinach, mustard greens, curly endive, escarole, kale and broccoli rabe.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed greens- escarole, curly endive, mustard greens, spinach, kale or broccoli rabe trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth or water more as needed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, do not burn.
- Add greens (in batches, if needed) and cook, tossing often, for about 1 minute.
- Add broth and herbs, stir to combine. Add another cup of broth or water for more soup-like consistency. Cover pot, turn heat to medium and let cook for 5 to 10 minutes until greens are wilted.
- Stir in beans, salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Adapted from http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1263, retrieved March 2011.