|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
|Passive Time||8 hours|
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chives thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dried lentils rinsed
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch collard greens leaves separated from stems and leave roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for serving, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chives and saute until soft and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, scraping up any browned bits.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the lentils, squash, collard stems (not the leaves), 2 teaspoons salt and 7 cups water to the slow cooker.
- Stir, then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, lift lid and stir in collard leaves.
- Cover and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to slightly break up the squash. Serve with optional lemon.