|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed, cleaned, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (diced
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup Arborio rice (or other medium to short grained rice)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, or the water that you cooked the asparagus in, warm)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water until it turns dark green, about 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat. Place in a cold water bath to stop the cooking process and set aside. *can puree half the asparagus to give the risotto a nice green color
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large sauce pan. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the wine to deglaze the pan and stir while simmering until wine has been fully absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock at a time and stir while simmering until fully absorbed. Continue until rice is cooked al dente.
- Mix in the parmigiano reggiano and remaining butter, then stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the lemon juice and asparagus.
- To poach the egg: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Swirl the water in a pot. Crack an egg into a bowl and pour the egg from the bowl into the water. Repeat for the remaining eggs. Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes, then fish them out.
- Divide the risotto among 4 plates and top with a poached egg.