- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4-6 cups chopped)
- 2 large portabella caps, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil or coconut oil (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups packed dinosaur kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- In the morning, soak the barley in water or soak for at least an hour before preparing dish. Drain the water from barley after soaking. Cook barley according to package directions. Drain and let cool while preparing the roasted veggies.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Toss chopped butternut squash with balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, add the chopped portabella caps and toss with the squash. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once veggies are cooked, add them to the bowl with the barley. Add the chopped kale and toss in the cranberries. Add a little more balsamic, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.