|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup egg , whites (organic)
- 3 tablespoons milk , organic heavy cream, or unsweetened plain almond milk
- 5 slices bacon , (nitrate-free) cooked and chopped
- 2/3 cup cauliflower , ground into rice
- 1/2 cup spinach , chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard , ground
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small to medium sized tomatoes , sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil pie dish.
- Grate or use processor on zucchini.
- Wrap grated zucchini in layered paper towels or cheese cloth.
- Squeeze and drain liquid from zucchini over sink. Place drained zucchini in large bowl.
- Add all the remaining crust ingredients to the zucchini and mix together.
- Place zucchini mixture into pie dish. Use the back of a spoon to spread mixture around pie dish, until dish is covered in zucchini crust mixture.
- Bake zucchini crust in oven for 9 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven (leave oven on). Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine: eggs, egg whites, milk of choice, ground mustard, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Grate or use processor on the cauliflower until rice texture forms.
- Add cauliflower rice, chopped spinach, and chopped bacon to the egg mixture and combine.
- Pour egg mixture into zucchini crust.
- Place tomato slices on top of quiche.
- Bake for 28 minutes, but check at 20 minutes to see if crust edges are browning too much.
- Loosely cover the top of pie dish with a parchment paper sheet. Place back in oven for remaining 8 minutes, or until top is browned and center is firm and set.
- Remove and let cool. Slice and serve.
Recipe Adapted holisticallyengineered.com/2013/10/bacon-and-tomato-quiche.html Retrieved February 2015