|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||55 minutes|
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds tomatoes peeled* and sliced in half with stems removed
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- fresh sprigs of thyme, oregano or rosemary (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 5 medium sized carrots diced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- Place sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet. Cover with most of the olive oil (reserving 2 tablespoons), and the salt and pepper. For a little more flavor, add a fresh sprig or two of oregano or thyme atop the tomatoes. Place in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes to roast.
- Halfway through roasting, add remaining olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add pepper, celery, carrots and cook, covered, until the vegetables begin to get soft (15 minutes or so).
- When the tomatoes are done, add those to the pot (removing the sprigs of herbs), along with the stock, simmer on low until the vegetables are all tender (another 15 minutes or so).
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender in batches.
- Return the soup to the pot and onto the stove. Heat slowly. Add the chopped basil and coconut cream.
*To peel the tomatoes, heat a sauce pan full of water and bring to a boil. Place tomatoes in for a minute. Remove and let cool. The skins will peel off easily after that.
Recipe adapted from http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2010/08/our-carrot-tomato-soup.html retrieved 10/18/10.