|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 1 1/2 cup water , or non-dairy milk (soy, almond, hemp, coconut, etc.)
- 1/2 apple , cored and chopped
- 5 dried prunes , or figs, dates, (chopped)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Dash sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pecans , (chopped) or almonds, toasted pumpkin seeds, (optional)
- In a medium pot, bring the amaranth and water or milk to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, uncover amaranth and add apple, dried fruit, cinnamon, and sea salt. Return cover and simmer for 10 minutes more until all water is absorbed and fruit is soft.
- Remove pan from heat and serve amaranth immediately. Top with chopped nuts or seeds.
Alternative Cooking Option: Soak 1/2 cup of amaranth in 1 1/2 cups water overnight in a small pan. In the morning place saucepan over medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes or until amaranth is soft. Be careful to watch grain so it does not burn. Add chopped fruit and nuts to garnish.
Recipe adapted from Ying Yu, Original recipe. Copyright 2011.