- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed in filtered water and drained
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 thumb size piece ginger minced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 4 broccoli florets chopped into small pieces
- 1 small shiitake mushroom sliced thinly
- 1 cup sugar snap peas trimmed and halved (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons wheat free tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons filtered water (combine with tamari)
- 1 teaspoon orange juice (optional)
- Bring one cup of water to a boil. Add the quinoa and bring back to a boil. Lower the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat the sesame oil, add the onions, and fry on medium heat until transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the carrots and fry for 3 minutes, then add the broccoli and fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the shiitake mushrooms, snap peas, and cabbage. Pour in the tamari and water mixture, making sure the vegetables are evenly coated. Cover and steam for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add the quinoa to the vegetables. Add the orange juice and fluff it through. Serve immediately or chill for an hour.