|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||4 hours|
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 medium eggplant chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cashews raw or roasted, unsalted
- 4 green onions sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Cauliflower rice for serving (optional)
- Heat a fry pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the browned chicken to the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the chopped eggplant.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chicken broth or water, chili flakes, honey, garlic, and ginger. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours. About 30 minutes prior to serving, add the bell pepper and cashews, stir to combine, and return the lid to the pot to finish cooking.
- Top with sliced green onions if desired, and serve over cauliflower rice.
Adapted from A Sweet Pea Chef at https://www.asweetpeachef.com/slow-cooker-cashew-chicken/, by Lacey Baier.