- 2 medium beets , scrubbed clean
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- sea salt , flaked (for finishing)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (350°F for convection ovens).
- Thinly slice the beets and place them in a bowl of water. Rinse the beets until water runs clear then pat dry with a clean dishcloth.
- Take the beet slices that have been dried and dip into the egg white mixture, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet one at a time. Keep the chips close together not overlapping. Place into your oven on the lowest rack.
- After 10 minutes, spray the beets with cooking spray, and increase the temperature by 25°F (375°F for convection; 400°F for non-convection). Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Keep your eye on them and remove from the oven when they turn a beautiful golden red-brown color. Times will vary based on your oven.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes (if you can wait).
- Finish with flake sea salt.
Recipe adapted from http://www.fullcircle.com/goodfoodlife/2012/02/23/thoughts-of-smoky-beet-chips/#s.af5myep2aaiaa retrieved Aug.’10.