- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 6 cups water
- 1-2 vegetarian beef bouillon cubes
- 1 3 inch chunk of ginger peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon tamari or Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 small onion cut into crescents
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 2 ounces rice noodles or cellophane/ bean thread noodles
- 2 cups bok choy chopped
- 1 carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped Thai basil
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges
- Sriracha chili sauce to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the cloves, star anise, and cinnamon stick and toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coriander, water, bouillon, ginger, and tamari; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Taste the broth and add more tamari if needed. Strain the broth by removing the solids.
- Add the onion, edamame, and noodles; cook for 4-5 minutes more. Remove pot from the heat and add the bok choy and carrots.
- To serve, ladle the broth into bowls. Divide noodles evenly into each bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro, basil, and green onion. Squeeze lime juice to taste over the top of your bowl before eating, and add sriracha to taste.
Recipe from http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/vegetarian-pho-pho-chay.html, retrieved April 2013.