|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 hours 35 minutes|
- 1 pound (2 cups) dried green split peas
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups fully cooked ham cubed
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring the peas, water, and oil to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the next 8 ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed; serve.
Recipe from http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Split-Pea-and-Ham-Soup, retrieved July 2011.