|Prep Time||10 minutes, marinades for 2-8 hours|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs or breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned and trimmed of fat
- In a blender, combine the onion, oil, garlic, ginger, pepper, and process on high speed to a paste. Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, cayenne, salt, pepper, and cinnamon and process until well blended.
- Add the yogurt and lemon juice, and process to a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides to combine all the ingredients.
- With a fork, prick holes in the chicken pieces. Using a knife, cut diagonal slices 1-inch apart, and 1/2-inch deep into the larger pieces. Place the chicken in a baking dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Bake the chicken until browned and no trace of pink remains in the center, 25 to 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tandoori_chicken.html, retrieved Nov. 2010.