- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 28 oz. cans tomatoes (one can crushed, one can diced with basil)
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 large handfuls kale chopped and stems removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot and add onion and garlic, cooking until they begin to soften. Next add tomatoes, coconut milk, broth and seasonings. Simmer this mixture while you cook the kale and cherry tomatoes.
- In a separate skillet, sauté the kale and cherry tomatoes with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the kale is wilted and the tomatoes are soft.
- Add kale and tomatoes to pot and puree mixture with immersion blender (Or puree in separate blender and add back to pot). Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- For the pesto, combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until blended. Again, taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- To serve, place a dollop of pesto in the center of each bowl of soup.
Recipe from http://www.realkidseatspinach.com/meatless-monday-vegan-cream-of-tomato-soup/, retrieved Feb 2012.