- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 medium red bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups black beans cooked, lightly mashed
- 1 cup brown rice cooked, should be sticky not dry
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds toasted, chopped
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and saute the onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, and spices in the oil until tender. Pour into a large mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. The mixture should hold together to form patties.
- In a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add the burger patties, working in batches if necessary so as not to crowd the skillet, and cook until browned on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven (or if skillet isn't big enough to hold all patties, transfer to a baking sheet) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the burgers are firm and cooked through. Serve.
Recipe from http://smithsvegankitchen.blogspot.com/2011/03/black-bean-grain-burger.html, retrieved April 2013.