- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1 heaping cup)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews raw
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper seeded (or whole jalapeno for more spice!)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Herbamare or sea salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- 10 to 12 cups kale finely chopped
- In a blender (such as a Vita-Mix), add olive oil, onions, garlic, cashews, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and Herbamare (or salt). Add water ½ cup at a time (until desired consistency) and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place the sauce into a large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add the chopped kale, mix well, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes until kale has wilted and sauce is thickened.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2011/07/creamed-kale-dairy-free.html, retrieved Feb 2012.