This lemony, peppery, garlicky, minty salad dressing is fantastic over crisp romaine lettuce topped with toasted pine nuts, green onions, and shredded carrots. It also works well to marinate cubed chicken or a white fish fillet. Marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator then saute.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1/2 cup packed fresh spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed, (about 2 lemons)
- 4-5 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 small shallot (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole back peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel beets and trim the ends off. Place into a steamer basket in a medium-sized pot. Add about 2 inches of water. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until beets are fork tender. Drain off water and set aside to cool.
- To roast the almonds place them in an 8 x 8-inch baking dish and place into preheated oven. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place onto a plate to cool. Chop on a cutting board with a large knife once cooled.
- Make dressing: Add all ingredients except for olive oil to a blender. Blend on high until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, blend on low speed until just incorporated. Pour into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Bring to room temp before serving.
- Finish salad and dress: Dice pears and set aside. Tear lettuce into pieces and rinse and spin dry. Assemble each salad by placing lettuce on each plate. Top with beets, pears, and almonds. Drizzle dressing over each salad.