|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 2 to 3 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 2 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
- Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast for about 60 seconds. Then add the olive oil and onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic, oregano, cinnamon, and jalapeno. Saute for a minute more.
- Add the squash, tomatoes, water, and salt. Stir, then cover and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Taste and adjust salt or seasonings if necessary. Serve.
Recipe from http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2008/12/spicy-butternut-squash-stew.html, retrieved Nov. 2010.