Our own Siona Sammartino is not only a master nutritionist, she is also an excellent chef. Full of cooking know-how and helpful recommendations for personalizing every concoction, she has shared one of her favorite holiday recipes with us. Read below for Siona’s message and her Holiday Mason Jar Granola recipe that will be a hit with all your family and friends. It’s a perfect festive treat to enjoy on your own or to bring along to share with others.
The holiday season is full of festivity and gift giving. My favorite way to spoil my friends and family is with a few homemade treats. I like to pack this granola into glass mason jars and tie it with a pretty ribbon or piece of yarn. If I’m feeling extra festive, I’ll string some cranberries on a piece of thread and tie with a few Douglas Fir branches. I find that cooking the oat mixture first helps to avoid burnt nuts and dried-out fruit, which has historically been a problem for me when making granola (not anymore). See grain-free or low carb variations below to customize this recipe according to your personal nutritional needs. Enjoy!
Holiday Mason Jar Granola
Preparation Time: 45-50 Minutes
Makes about 9 (½ cup) servings
For the Butter Mixture:
5-6 tablespoons organic pastured butter or virgin coconut oil, melted (⅓ cup)
2 tablespoons roasted almond butter
¼ teaspoon sea salt
⅓ cup real maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
For the Oat Mixture:
*3 cups certified gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats
½ teaspoon dried cinnamon
¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the Nut and Fruit Mixture:
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup unsweetened dried coconut chips
*½ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
½ cup pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Using the same pot used for melting the butter, mix hot butter, almond butter, salt,
syrup and extract until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix oats, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the seeds, almonds, cranberries, coconut.
- Pour half the butter mixture over the oat mixture and the remaining half over the
nut and fruit mixture and stir each to combine.
- Pour oat mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for
about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, stir and then stir in the nut and fruit mixture.
- Return to oven and continue baking for another 20 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from oven, stir & allow granola to cool before storing in airtight containers.
*Variations to Meet your Personal Nutritional Needs:
Needing a grain-free recipe? Simply replace the oats with pecans.
Looking for a low carb option? Replace the oats with pecans, use Lakanto Monk Fruit “Maple Syrup” or Nutiva Naturals stevia-based “Maple Syrup” and leave out the dried fruit.
Copyright 2015, S. Sammartino, Original Recipe