With toasty flavors from pistachio oil, fragrant lemon, and briney capers, this dressing is complex in taste but simple to make. If you can’t find pistachio oil, substitute another nutty oil such as pumpkin seed or walnut, or just use more extra-virgin olive oil. It pairs wonderfully with this fennel, avocado, and mint salad, which is quercetin-rich, making it great for cancer-prevention. Serve it with a protein such as grilled fish, lamb, or chicken, or add a poached egg on top, to make it a complete and balanced meal.
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (Active time 15 minutes)
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 5cups)
- 1/2 cup Pistachio-Caper Vinaigrette (*See recipe below)
- 2 medium ripe Hass avocados
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Drain and slice sun-dried tomatoes into 1/8-inch- thick strips.
- Combine the sliced fennel and sun-dried tomatoes in a mixing bowl and toss with the vinaigrette (recipe below).
- Halve the avocados lengthwise and remove the pits. Peel each half and place it cut side down on a cutting board. Slice into very thin, lengthwise strips.
- Toss all the ingredients together and serve in a salad bowl. Let the salad sit for half an hour at room temperature to allow the flavors to combine, then scoop onto plates.
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons capers in brine, minced
- 2 tablespoons roasted pistachio oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and capers in a medium, nonreactive bowl and whisk to dissolve the salt.
- Slowly add pistachio and olive oils, pouring them in a thin stream while whisking constantly.
- Stir in onion, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
Adapted from: Chowhound’s Fennel Avocado and Mint Salad and Pistachio Caper Vinaigrette